Is there a statute of limitations in fla for a permanent lifetime restraining order? So i can posess a firearm again?

Bonita Springs, FL |

My ex girlfriend was able to get the judge to hand me a permanent lifetime restraining order about 12 years ago or longer. I was convicted of domestic violence and she was convicted of domestic violence. Will i ever be able to legally own ammunition and a firearm again?

1. Apparently not in your lifetime. I don't practice in FL, and Lord knows y'all have some strange rules down there and not everything means what it says, but to this Yankee a LIFETIME restraining order means LIFETIME and thus you will never be able to lawfully possess a firearm or ammunition (besides, what good is one without the other?). Might want to write a letter to Governor Jeb about this law.

Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney--San Diego County--Free Consultations.

2. You need to actually go see a Florida attorney about this problem. It is complex, and there is no way of actually asking you questions on this forum. Depending upon the facts, there might be something that can be done. But without a full review of all the facts and circumstances an attorney cannot say much at all. You need specifically tailored legal advice.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

3. You can file a motion to vacate/dissolve the permanent injunction in place at this time. You will have to show sufficient cause why it should be dissolved and there will be a hearing on it in front of the judge. I would recommend you hire an attorney to assist you with this.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a divorce and family law firm located in Orlando, Florida. Communication through Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to our office until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.