Is there a statute of limitations for deliquent property taxes in Texas?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Houston, TX

Hello my brother got a letter that he owes 5 years of property taxes, is there a statute of limitation? Do they need to sue him to collect this debt? What can happen can he be arrested?

1. Peter Walter Weston

Pro

1

Answered . For your situation, there is no limitation for back property taxes, because the tax authority can seek collection at any time, to get everything paid currently to date, including interest.
    The tax authority may seek this, by filing a lawsuit to collect taxes, which are then collected by selling the real property at a tax sale, on foreclosure day, to raise funds to pay the judgment that results from a lawsuit.
    The usual remedy without a foreclosure, is to have an installment agreement to pay off taxes, or possibly file a chapter 13 bankruptcy, if appropriate to make the installment payments, if you want to keep the property.

Land owners are not subject to arrest, for this type of debt.

2. Warren Vincent Norred

Pro

Answered . We don't jail people for owing money in this country. (Though money owed for child support can be close.)

The taxing authority will need to sue him, so this won't happen all at once. As others have said, a chapter 13 bankruptcy filing will help, IF your brother has steady income.

3. Sarah Ann Duckers

Answered . The statute of limitations for collecting delinquent property taxes on real estate is 20 years. Yes, the taxing authorities will have to file a lawsuit to enforce collection. It is not wise to let it get to that point, because it can add substantial additional court costs on top of the tax debt. If your brother wants to avoid his real property being sold for taxes, he should contact the taxing authorities ASAP to work out a pay-out plan. And no, they won't agree to take less than what is owed. Ever.

Providing this answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

1

Answered . Given that the state or county can take title to property for which taxes are owed, any limitation period on taxes would have a concomitant ability to simply foreclose on the property and take it for re-sale.

At least with lingering cumulative taxes, you can consider it economically as a rising option to buy it back, at least giving the taxpayer a choice.

Please remember to designate your question's BEST ANSWER.

Curt Harrington
    Certified Tax Specialist -- State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
    Electrical-Chemical-Mechanical Patent (Intellectual Property) Attorney
    (562) 594-9784
    http://patentax.com
    About Curt: http://patentax.com/curt/index.html
    Visit the Library: http://patentax.com/library/