Is there a statute of limitations for a medical bill that went to collections?

Asked over 2 years ago - Mechanicsville, VA

The Medical bill is 7 or more years old and was originally from Florida. According to my research the statute of limitations is 5 years however, when I called to infor the collector they told me there was no statute on this collection. Am i obligated to pay this debt or not? I also found out sending a letter of validation is a great way to stop collectors from contacting you.

1. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

1

Answered . Virginia has a borrowing statute. That means that the statute of limitations must not have passed in either state (where the debt was incurred or where you live now). Telling you that there was no SOL may be a violation of the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act if this was a consumer debt and the other party is not the original creditor.

Send them a debt validation letter and tell them to prove it. I can help if you would like to hire an attorney. See my website below for more information.

2. L. Maxwell Taylor

1

Answered . States usually have tolling statutes that provide that the statute of limitations tolls (i.e., the limitations clock doesn't tick) when the person is absent from the state. As a practical matter, it may mean that if someone moves out of the state before the limitations period expires, the clock on the statute of limitations stops. Poking around for Florida's tolling statute, I found Section 95.051 of the 2011 Florida Statutes. It's titled "When limitations tolled," and it provides that

"(1) The running of the time under any statute of limitations except ss. 95.281, 95.35, and 95.36 is tolled by:

(a) Absence from the state of the person to be sued."

All of which is to say, a debtor who left a state owing money to a creditor in breach of a contract to pay for services may find cold comfort in the statute of limitations when the creditor comes after him in another state. I don't practice law in either Florida or Virginia, but it seems to me you need legal advice from a lawyer in the state of your residence as to how best to deal with this creditor and the status of your liability for this debt.

Not legal advice as I don't practice law in either Virginia or Florida and hold licensure in neither of these states. Please go get legal advice from someone who does.

3. Gary Alan Armstrong

Pro

Answered . I have to disagree with Mr. Taylor somewhat. Generally the tolling provision Mr. Taylor is talking about would apply when and if you return to Florida and get sued there. However, if the creditor were to come after you in Virginia, the Virginia statute of limitations would likely apply. Which statute of limitations applies, though, can be a tricky question of a field of law called "conflict of laws" and requires a lawyer with some expertise to understand. That said, it is clear that some statute of limitations would apply and that the statement that no statute of limitations applies is clearly false, again assuming that all claims in Florida and Virginia have a statute of limitations. (the only claim I am aware of with absolutely no statute of limitations is for the government collecting on government guaranteed student loans.)

You may want to talk to an FDCPA attorney in your area. Check the website of the National Association of Consumer Advocates, www.naca.net, for attorneys in your area.