Is there a statute of limitations for a bounced check charge?

Asked over 1 year ago - Seminole, FL

I received a letter from the D.A.'s office in Midland, TX stating that there was a warrant out for my arrest for bounced checks and that I needed to send them $138.15. I called to get info and they said it was from checks from 1992. I haven't lived there since the end of 1992. I don't recall any of this, and don't know why it took 20 years for them to do anything. I'm sure it's less costly to just pay the amount I owe, rather than lawyer's fees. Just wondering if there was a statute of limitations for this. Thank you.

1. William David Umansky

Pro

3

Answered . You need a lawyer in Texas.

2. Craig A. Epifanio

3

Answered . Statute of limitations vary from state to state. You need to contact an attorney in Texas to find the answer to your question.

3. Joseph Julius Registrato

2

Answered . Each state has its own statute of limitations that govern things like this, so you'll need to know what texas law says. As an aside, paying somebody the money you owe them for a bounced check might make him happy, but it won't automatically get rid of the warrant for your arrest, or the underlying criminal charge of worthless check, or whatever they call it in texas. Contrary to your thinking, the very first thing I would do is hire a texas lawyer to take care of the warrant because if you get stopped in Florida or elsewhere you're very likely going straight to jail, even though the warrant is old and gray.