Is there a statut of limitation on a homeowner sueing a contractor for not completing a project due to the homeowner not paying?

Austin, TX |

I am a contractor that was working on a project for a homeownerm when the homeower disided they were not going to pay any more money until the projet was finished. They cancelled a check and I kept working for 2 weeks to hopefully make everything OK on the project. At that point they said they were not paying anymore until it was completed. I said that I would not work anymore until I was paid according to the contract. Now they are sueing me for what it cost them to have another contractor to come in and finish the project. Is there a limitation on them being able to do this?

1. Not enough details to answer. Consult with an attorney in person. It sounds like the homeowner wasn't happy about something.

If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and best answer. Please understand that all of my answers are for informational purposes only, are not legal advise, and do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am not your attorney and you are not my client unless we enter into a signed contract. My only legal advise to you is that you should immediately consult with and hire a lawyer and that you should not represent yourself. If you want to more information about personal injury, visit http://www.sainjurylawyer.com or if you want more information about criminal defense, visit http://www.giardinolawfirm.com. Good luck!

2. The statute of limitations on a contract claim is 4 years. There may be other claims in play that are not clear from the information given. If you have been sued, you need to speak to an attorney immediately. It sounds like you have a claim for the remainder of the contract price, and you'll need to include that claim in the pending suit or likely lose it forever.

This post is for discussion purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. This post does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in retaining counsel, you may contact The Law Office of Daniel O'Brien, P.C. at 512-615-3580 to discuss further.