Skip to main content

Is there a statue of limitations on suing someone in a civil law suit for abuses during a marriage? (domestic violence)

Brick, NJ |

Aside from a civil law suit are there any other law suit options?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Most criminal statutes have a 5 year SOL. The civil statute varies I think. I do not practice that type of law. It can be one or two years I think. But call a family or tort attorney.


I moved your question for you.

If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up or vote it best answer! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post Office Box 8 Danville, California 94526-0008 Legal disclaimer: I do not practice law in any state but California. As such, any responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to a general understanding of law in California and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as legal advice can only be provided in circumstances in which the attorney is able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather appropriate information.


Abuse / domestic violence during a marriage is referred to as "domestic torts." A "tort" is a "non-contractual wrong", meaning that the damages arise out of a violation of a duty (here, the duty not to assault someone), not a violation of a contract.

Generally, a suit for domestic torts needs to be filed with a divorce complaint under something called "the entire controversy doctrine" - all related claims need to be brought within one lawsuit (the divorce action).

There is a two year statute of limitations for damages.

BUT.... There is an exception if the person seeking damages suffers from "battered spouse syndrome", meaning that she or he was too psychologically impaired to take action earlier as a result of the abuse. If you qualify, you can go as far back as you need to. But be advised - qualifying involves having an expert (a psychologist or psychiatrist) and is a contentious, expensive process and applications for it are often (not always) denied - that would leave you able to sue only for domestic tort damages that occurred within two years of the complaint being filed (the statute of limitations for a personal injury suit).

Two examples of cases where I've had success with this -- Wife was given genital herpes by husband four years earlier and was hit regularly by him before she "got out." Her psychologist provided a report (it was around $3,500) saying she had battered wife syndrome and was psychologically unable to proceed earlier. Court agreed and, in essence, wiped out his interest in the house ($375,000) via its damages award.

Another - a man was regularly hit, including an assault 8 years ago with a steel pan that broke his eye orbit and left him with a permanent sight loss in the eye. Same result.

I've seen, btw, many more cases where people have tried to make the standard and failed. I defended one where the Wife had taken photos of bruises on her arm, some inflicted 4 years earlier, some inflicted shortly before separation. The judge agreed that the fact that Wife had the wherewithal to build a case by photos showed she was able to prosecute one. Only the three assaults that occurred in the two years before the complaint was filed were permitted (and judge awarded $2,500 in compensatory and punitive damages per hit, $7,500 total).

Finally, you are entitled to "sever" domestic torts issues and have them (and the associated damages) heard by a jury (Brennan v. Orbin), but judges have discretion over whether to do this based on a complicated legal test. I've yet to have a judge impanel a jury - never went to app div on either try as the cases settled before trial.

The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.

Eliz C A Johnson

Eliz C A Johnson


Excellent answer and helpful advice.

David Perry Davis

David Perry Davis


Thanks, Eliz. With some minor editing, I turned it into my first "Legal Guide" -

Eliz C A Johnson

Eliz C A Johnson


Worth doing then! Good work.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer