Is there a statue of limitations on perjury?

Louisville, KY |
Filed under: Litigation

If a person lies during a deposition in a divorce case, can that person be charged with perjury after the divorce is finalized?

1. I think perjury occurs in 90% of divorces. I would not say that much can or is ever done about it.

My standard disclaimer: I am not offering legal advice, assume I do not know the law in your state and that I am just making suggestions for starting points for when you do speak with an attorney. Do NOT rely on anything I write and contact a lawyer in your area immediately after reading my posting.

2. Can they be charged? Yes.

Are they going to be charged? Almost certainly no.

You can make a decent argument that perjury occurs in EVERY trial of any kind. If prosecutors took all the perjury cases that they were asked to take, they would do nothing except prosecute perjury.

Perjury is only going to be charged in an exceptional situation. Lying on a deposition in a divorce case is almost never going to meet that burden.

And I have been both a state and federal prosecutor in Kentucky ...

Litigation topics