Skip to main content

Is there a statue of Limitations on filing criminal charges?

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Criminal charges

I just recently discovered my son's paternal grandmother and father has been physically abusing my 11 yr old son since he was at least 4. I discovered this in Therapy. I now have an emergency order of protection against them. I also have random photos and witnesses to the bruises.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Please discuss this with the police in the location where the conduct took place. DP NOT discuss it online or with anyone else. Your grandson's privacy and dignity are important. You did a very good thing to get the OP. If you do not have an attorney, you might wish to consult with one to determine what other options (such as restricted to no visitation,) you may have.


Go to the police IMMEDIATELY. Do not dicuss this matter online since it involves a child.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


Yes. Illinois does have a statute of limitations for the bringing of criminal charges. Because what you have alluded to is physical abuse of a child (as opposed to sexual abuse), which would be a felony offense (a separate offense for each specific incident), the time limit is three years.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Follow-up with a licensed attorney who regularly practices in this field is strongly recommended.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer