Is there a statue of limitations for a plaintiff to meet the burden of proof in a civil torts case?

Asked over 5 years ago - Oakdale, NY

i damaged my neighbors property in 2006 was sentenced to 3 years probation (granted early termination in 13 months) payed restitution. I am now being sued for torts they are claiming mental damage and her children are suffering in school because of it. It has been over 2 years since I was served for the civil suit and she still has not produced school records to prove her case. In the mean time I am paying a lawyer to just "show up" because she has a friend lawyer doing this for her. How long can this go on for? I know her kids school records would prove me right because this case is a big lie, I have been tormented by her children for 8 years before i fought back and i know, she knows this. I believe this is just another form of harrasment. Please Help

1. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . If you're paying a lawyer to help you and are at some stage of litigation already, ask your lawyer to explain the NY statute of limitations on a negligence case, when you assert this defense, what the plaintiff has to do to prove the case, and what you have to do to disprove it.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.