Is there a specific nationality for the sponsor in sponsoring DV-Lottery Visa Applicant ?

Oakland, CA |

A friend of mine has an DV-Lottery Visa interview appointment scheduled to May 2013 at the Assigned US Embassy overseas .Actually, he currently has an Affidavit of Support I-134 Form given by an American Citizen by birth. in fact, A friend of his who is a DV-Lottery Visa winner had already an Affidavit of Support given by an American citizen and the affidavit was refused by the US Embassy as they says that he has to have an affidavit of support given based on the applicant's nationality as they claimed how did the applicant meet/know the US sponsor So, my friend is now afraid the Affidavit he has may not be accepted too.

They must be US citizens or residents to file form I-134

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

How does he know the USC sponsor?

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

I agree with my colleague. An affidavit of support sponsor must be a US citizen or Legal permanent resident. If your friend has questions regarding the affidavit of support he should contact an immigration attorney.

Gabriela M. Lopez, Esq.

Recommended articles about Immigration