Skip to main content

Is there a special Visa for a foreign alien who bought a house in the USA only to rent it out and make money to allow periodic

Los Angeles, CA |

visits in the country during the renovation to check on workers and contractors and to show the house since I do not want to use an agency?

Attorney Answers 4


You could try to apply for a B-1 Business visitor category, or better yet, for a B-1/B-2 visa.

There is no special or specific visa category for what you are trying to undertake. If your country of nationality has an E-2 Treaty with the US, you can then see if you'll qualify for an E-2 Treaty Investor visa, since you purchased the house for rental. Difficult.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree


No, there is really not much that can be done just because you own a home in the U.S. You should discuss all other possible options with an competent and experienced immigration attorney. Perhaps, you have other options.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


My colleague Mr. Behar is correct ... the B-1 will probably meet your needs.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


You don't say what country you are from, that I think would make a difference in the specificity of answers you will receive.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society. International Law 24/7 hotline +1-202-318-2406 - Dr. Jonathan Levy, PhD calls or emails usually returned within 24 hours.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics