Is there a sensitive test that will detect an closed head injury in car accident

Asked about 1 year ago - Dearborn, MI

i was in the back seat in the middle with no seat belt. a car t boned my friends car and the car that hit us was going 40 mph i jumped to the windshild and cracked it with my frontal lobe head. is there any test to detect it. mri and ct scan came normal

1. Steven M. Gursten

Pro

9

Answered . MRI and ct almost always come out normal. They show structure, not function. A person who is dead or in a coma will have a normal MRI too. The most sensitive, and specific, test for a closed head injury is neuropsychological testing, preferably a standardized test battery. You should have your treating doctor refer you for testing. After this, you may want to consider DTI MRI or a Pet scan, both are diagnostic tests that are better at measuring function. Good luck, I hope you get better quickly.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

8

Answered . If you're talking about suffering a possible closed head injury, YOU MUST talk to a personal injury attorney as your damages could be catastrophic.

There are a number of objective medical tests that can be performed and a battery of written tests that can be administered to make determinations regarding head injuries. Your personal injury attorney will understand this if they have experience dealing with head injuries.

Best of luck!

3. Gerald R Stahl

Pro

6

Answered . In a closed head injury case, there can be microscopic tears of the axon and neuron fibers in the brain. Thus an MRI or CT will not show the damage. In some severe cases the injured party may suffer an adema or bleeding in the brain, this may require the surgery to relieve pressure in the brain. A neuropsychological examination is the best way to test for brain injury if the MRI and CT scan are normal.

4. Philip Anthony Fabiano

7

Answered . Diagnostic studies may not show damage from a closed head injury. MRI and other such tests are typically given when a closed head injury is suspected but usually to rule out some other condition not to actually demonstrate a closed head injury.
    A diagnosis involving a closed head injury is done by testing administered by a neurophysiologist.

5. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

4

Answered . MRI and CT. Why do you think you have a closed head injury? Do you have headaches? blurry vision?

6. Daniel J. Melican

3

Answered . When did the accident happen? Did you make a No-Fault claim? Be sure to do so immediately. You have three years to sue for personal injury.

Always consult an attorney IMMEDIATELY as there are time limitations on filing a lawsuit.
  7. Craig S. Romanzi

3

Answered . Closed Head Injury is a broad term which really just means that you suffered a blow to your head (or and acceleration/deceleration injury). which did not result in a penetrating injury to the skull. The initial ER assessment for TBI is typically very cursory and is not designed to do any more than to stabilize you until your treating physician. Where is, the most important factor is that you have on your ability to function. CHI can result in a whole host of cognitive changes which may have been detected for several months after that. These changes include short-term memory problems, increased impulsivity, irritability to pay attention and/or learn new information, difficulty following instructions, problems with visual tracking,impaired sleep, together with numerous other related issues. The key in identifying a CHI is appropriate neuropsychological test battery which measure functional abilities combined with very sensitive imaging studies.

DTI imaging is probably the most sensitive study available right now to identify axonal shearing that disrupts the ability of the brain to work in the orderly fashion it did before the accident. There is a lot of debate about which test battery is the best to identify functional deficits. Your treating neurologist, PM&R or family doctor should refer you to a neuropsychologist for evaluation and testing as well as to an imaging facility for a DTI study.

Pro

4

Answered . There are other tests, so best bet is see another doctor, then a malpractice lawyer