Is there a possibility of fixing his papers?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Delano, CA

In a us born citizen and mi married to an illegal immigrant . My husband has a felony and one misdemeanor . The felony was in 2006 and the misdemeanor was in 2010 . He was prosecuted for both and then deported . He resides in Mexico right now .

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Irene Vaisman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . in order to assess chances, an experienced attorney will need to review the dispositions for all arrests and review the deportation documents. Only then an opinion can be provided.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If he was deported after a conviction for an "aggravated felony" -- a term which needs an immigration attorney to review your documents and explain to you after a review of all the records --- then he will be barred from re-entry indefinitely but may apply for a waiver. If he does not have a permanent bar he will still need a waiver but it really depends on several factors, such as what the convictions were for, whether he has other bars, such as for unlawful presence, etc. You need to consult an AILA immigration attorney to decide whether it is possible or worth the time and expense to try to petition for him at this early date.

    AILA's Immigration Lawyer Search

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication in any way. Consult a competent... more
  3. Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your husband may be eligible for a waiver that would permit him to enter the US again. The only way to determine if this is an option for him would be for an immigration attorney to review the dispositions for all of his arrests and the deportation documents. There are also other factors that will have to be evaluated.

    Consult with an attorney.

One or more answers have been taken down.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,121 answers this week

3,248 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,121 answers this week

3,248 attorneys answering