Is there a possibility I could fix my husbands immigration status and about how long could it take?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hays, KS

I am and US citizen, I married my husband about a year ago prior to that we had been living together for a little more than a year. We have a son together and another one on the way. I have legal custody of his two daughters that are US citizens as well. He was deported due to a drug felony. He has another one on his record that was over ten years ago. He recently got deported again for commiting a re-enter.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. William Michael Sharma-Crawford

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . At best it would require your husband live outside the U.S. for ten years before you could fix him. At worst you could never fix his status. With two drug felonies it is highly unlikely you will be successful. You would need a skilled immigration attorney and a skilled criminal attorney.

  2. Theodore John Murphy


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You have a difficult and lengthy process to fix his status. Chances are slim to none that you will be successful however, you should consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be... more
  3. Sema Yildirim

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your chances are very slim. Does not look good. But you can have a local immigration attorney review all the documents to fully eval the case

  4. Tsirina Goroshit

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Drug conviction and re entry convictions and deportation, make this case almost not possible. It is recommended to consult in attorney for evaluation and consideration of a waiver for non immigrants.

    The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Laws change... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,130 answers this week

2,823 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,130 answers this week

2,823 attorneys answering