Is there a phone # where I can talk to a lawyer for free?

Asked over 4 years ago - West Bend, WI

I am in need of legal advice.

1. Jeremy Smith

Answered . You may be able to find some organizations that are set up to deal with specific problems, e.g., landlord issues, child custody, etc. Some of these organizations will offer advice in certain areas free of charge.

As a general rule, attorneys aren't normally inclined to offer advice for "free" or much "advice" at all without an engagement contract. Usually, without a formal arrangement, concerns over malpractice and liability outweigh wanting to just help someone out. You may want to seek out an organization in the area in which you need help.

Another possible avenue is to educate yourself thoroughly on the area of law you're concerned about. There are so many resources available online that you'd be quite surprised how much information you can obtain prior to consulting an attorney. Educate yourself, then spend an hour with an attorney (and pay them) and your time will be focused and cost-effective.

Best of luck.

2. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Answered . Most any lawyer who wants to survive in the legal practice world had better have a web presence, be searchable, and be available for client inquiries either for free or for a minor fee if done in person. Google searches should hit lawyers' websites and provide enough detail for the client to call or write.

The answer to your question is yes. You can Google any legal issue and discover law offices made up of attorneys who specialize in the area of the law you need help in. They can and do talk to you and give you ideas of how a case can proceed. Remember that no lawyer anywhere can read a crystal ball and advise you by remote control. You'll be given general impressions over the telephone and it is up to you to go to the office with your documents for a more accurate consultation. The consultation along with a payment of a retainer will lead to a prosecution or defense of a case. Those are the steps.

In keeping with that, I would be especially wary of today's lawyers not having an internet presence. I would be wary of attorneys who do not publish on the internet and do not have client ratings on the internet.