Skip to main content

Is there a percentage limit on a month to month rent increase if so how much

Cape Coral, FL |

I have been paying 565 with an expired lease and the new rate is 625 which is at the top end similar duplex apartments

Attorney Answers 3


There is no restriction on increases and landlords and tenants are free to negotiate mutually agreeable rates. If your lease expired and you continued to pay rent with no specific term, then you entered a month-to-month tenancy in which either party can terminate the tenancy after providing at least 15 days notice prior to the end of the rental period.

Nothing prohibits you from trying to negotiate a better rate with your landlord, or giving notice that you intend to terminate the tenancy. If you believe the rate requested exceeds the actual market rate for comparable properties, there is no harm in pointing that out to your landlord. Most landlords understand that it always more cost effective to keep a quality tenant than to seek a new one. Best of luck.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information provided by this website is not intended, nor should it be construed, to be legal advice. Your use of this website, and/or the sending of information to the Fucillo Law Firm, P.L., does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please do not send us any confidential or privileged information until such time that an actual attorney/client relationship is actually established.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


sometimes its listed in the agreement that it can't go up more than whatever percent per year. however, there is no law directly prohibiting or capping it.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


No law that governs the increase.
However-you can negotiate the renewal
increases in your rental agreement.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Mark as helpful

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics