Is there a minimum income amount that one has to claim on a child support guidelines worksheet in Florida?

Tampa, FL |

I want to say that someone told me that even if one of the parties is unemployed, or only working part time, he/she is required to put their net monthly income is $1200 on the child support guidelines worksheet, because this is the minimum allowed.

Generally, if you are not making enough money, you can be imputed at minimum wage. You should consult a local attorney so he or she can give you a complete legal analysis of your situation.

JMP Law, P.A.
Juna M. Pulayya

Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about my qualifications and experience. Transmission of the information in this web site is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

For years the given was that if a parent is not working or working part time, the Court would automatically impute minimum wage to that parent (especially the custodial parent). This has changed significantly. While some Court's will still do this, especially with no fight from that party's attorney, the law has changed to where a Court cannot just impute minimum wage without a finding that the individual has the ability to make minimum wage, especially if the party not making minimum wage is a full or part time student or he/she is disabled or caring full time for a minor child.

Family law rules differ significantly in every state, especially procedural rules. Always seek the advice of an attorney in the state where your divorce was filed.

minimum wage 40 hours per week

Recommended articles about Employment