Is there a loop hole to have a juvenile 707(b) offense sealed or pardoned so that the PC 290 Registration stops?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Banning, CA

I have done extensive research to seal my record for my charge (264.1 PC) that occurred 16 years ago when I was 15, I was not tried as an adult, but was sent to youth authority. I was not aware about having to register as a sex offender when I plead guilty to the charge. Now I am told that I cannot seal my record. What was the purpose of sending me to the youth authority and have me go through a 2 year sex offender program for rehabilitation? Can I get a governor's pardon as a juvenile? If the record can't be sealed or pardoned, is there a way to at least have the 290 PC registration stopped?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The answer to all of your questions is no except for the governor's pardon. That is a long and arduous process, particularly for sex offenders, but if you were a heavy campaign contributor to any governor your chances may be somewhat improved. Do not try this alone; hire an attorney.

  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your registration should not be publicly viewable.

    Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Southern California Criminal Defense
    (310) 707-7131

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient... more
  3. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There may be a registration exception since there is a distinction between juvenile court and adult court for some sex crimes in California. I'm not certain if PC 264.1 is an exception. My understanding is that there was a law passed in 2006 that excluded certain sex offenders aged 14 and above from juvenile law confidentiality. So I suggest you contact an knowledgeable juvenile attorney in this area. Or retain someone to find the answer for you.

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice... more

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Daniel P. Hilf

Driving While License Suspended

Driving While License Suspended or Revoked in Michigan is a misdemeanor offense (according to MCL 257.904(3)(a)) that carries a maximum potential jail sentence of up to 93 days, and/or a... more

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now