Is there a loop hole to have a juvenile 707(b) offense sealed or pardoned so that the PC 290 Registration stops?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Banning, CA

I have done extensive research to seal my record for my charge (264.1 PC) that occurred 16 years ago when I was 15, I was not tried as an adult, but was sent to youth authority. I was not aware about having to register as a sex offender when I plead guilty to the charge. Now I am told that I cannot seal my record. What was the purpose of sending me to the youth authority and have me go through a 2 year sex offender program for rehabilitation? Can I get a governor's pardon as a juvenile? If the record can't be sealed or pardoned, is there a way to at least have the 290 PC registration stopped?

1. 5

Answered . The answer to all of your questions is no except for the governor's pardon. That is a long and arduous process, particularly for sex offenders, but if you were a heavy campaign contributor to any governor your chances may be somewhat improved. Do not try this alone; hire an attorney.

2. 4

Answered . Your registration should not be publicly viewable.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Southern California Criminal Defense
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

3. 4

Answered . There may be a registration exception since there is a distinction between juvenile court and adult court for some sex crimes in California. I'm not certain if PC 264.1 is an exception. My understanding is that there was a law passed in 2006 that excluded certain sex offenders aged 14 and above from juvenile law confidentiality. So I suggest you contact an knowledgeable juvenile attorney in this area. Or retain someone to find the answer for you.