Is there a limit to how long a credit card company can come after you for money?

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

I have about 3 credit cards that I stopped paying for about 10 years. I am retired and unable to work do to being handicapped.

1. Boris A. Avramski

1

Answered . Mr. Corbin is correct. In Nevada, if the clock on the statute of limitations has not been reset, the credit card company must file a lawsuit with in 6 years to be with in the statute of limitations. However, if you believe that they are harassing you, then you need to talk to a Fair Debt Collections Act attorney who may be able to stop the credit card company from continuing.

2. Michael J Corbin

Answered . There are really 2 separate issues at play in your post. First, any creditor can sue at any time for any reason. It would be your responsibility to raise the statute of limitations as a defense to the lawsuit - whether or not the SOL has expired in your particular matter would have to be looked at carefully - there are lots of ways to reset the SOL clock on a case simply by saying something to the creditor. The second issue is whether, if they do manage to obtain a judgment, they can collect. If you are only receiving SS or other assistance, you're probably judgment proof, so they couldn't collect. Again, your specifics would have to be reviewed. Speak with a local bankruptcy attorney.

3. Gary D. Bollinger

Answered . You are likely judgment proof.

See the blue hyperlink below to an Avvo legal guide.