New York, NY |

As a New York Family Law attorney I can assure you that the validity of prenups is an issue frequently before the courts. Thus, even though there is no specific requirement by statute regarding time frames between drafting and signing or signing and marriage, the circumstances should make clear that neither party was pressured or rushed. This is very important. It is equally important that each party has the benefit of separate legal counsel before signing such an agreement. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

No. But the more rushed it is, and if both sides did not have an attorney, it could become a factor in a later litigation concerning duress and other issues used to void an agreement. Typcially, the process should take a number of days if not weeks. Anyone who produces one "at the last minute" before the wedding is (in my opinion) trying to take advantage.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

No there is no waiting period but I would encourage you to take your time.

No, nothing is required. That said, each party should have a thorough opportunity to carefully review the entire agreement before executing it. For a full assessment, schedule a consultation with a NYC Family Law attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Prenuptial agreement topics

Recommended articles about Prenuptial agreement