Is there a lawyer willing to represent an employee discrimination case against a state agency ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Kansas City, KS

Do most lawyers in the area find it difficult to accept a discrimination case against their friends, who may be lawyers representing state agencies? Can an employee file with EEOC and include a private lawyer to represent a potential case of discrimination on the job?

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

Answered . I am a California attorney and cannot give legal advice in your state. My comments are information only, based on federal law and general legal principles. YOUR STATE MAY HAVE ITS OWN LAWS THAT OFFER SIMILAR OR GREATER PROTECTION. If I mention your state’s laws, it only means I did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant. You MUST check with an attorney licensed in your state to learn your rights.

Most attorneys are not put off by a difficult case and most do not make their case selections based on personal loyalties. We tend to be a pretty tough group. Nearly all of us will make decisions based on the merits of the case and our abilities.

Yes, it is possible and advisable to have your own attorney during the entire EEOC process.

You can find a plaintiffs employment attorney on the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) web site www.nela.org. NELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the country for attorneys representing working people. You can search by location and practice area. Also, NELA has affiliates in every state and many cities which are listed on the NELA site. Not all NELA attorneys are named on the web site or affiliate site. This should not influence your selection; attorneys can choose whether or not to purchase a listing in the national directory, and each affiliate has its own rules for listing.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.