Skip to main content

Is there a lawyer in south florida that has handled medical malpractice cases complicated by mental illness?

Homestead, FL |

b/c clinically depressed patient's "informed consent" decision might be coming from their depression not sound judgment.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


There are many attorneys in South Florida that handle malpractice cases. You did not supply a lot of facts, but informed consent cases are difficult. To succeed you have to show by expert testimony the doctor deviated from accepted medical standards of care, and that deviation caused you damages. I am not sure what damage you think you incurred.



i was under the impression that like doctors certain malpractice lawyers specialise in certain injury areas say birth defects for instance and as there are hundreds of lawyers in south florida I was hoping that a reply by someonw would help narrow down the names to one who specializes in mental health cases. I did not give enough details about damges etc because mostly I was looking for specialization so I would have a name(s) and then would proceed from there.

Josh P Tolin

Josh P Tolin


I am not aware of anyone that specializes in psychiatric malpractice cases. Just go to avvo and find a lawyer and put in your area, that will get you to malpractice attorneys. good luck.


I agree with Mr. Tolin. It's not clear from your post whether you suffered damages. If you didn't suffer damages, you don't have a claim. If you did, use Avvo's "Find a Lawyer" feature above to locate a medical malpractice attorney nearby. I wish you luck. Take care.

My discussion with you regarding the question you posted on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is my response to your question to be considered legal advice. While I do my best to provide helpful responses given the factual scenario presented, proper analysis of any matter requires a more in-depth conversation than what is practical on Avvo. If you are a member of the military, or if an immediate family member of yours lost his or her life while fighting for our country, I am proud to offer a 10% discount on my fee.


Your question is not clear. What prompts you to believe that there is malpractice? Is the lack of informed consent the primary issue in the case? If it is, that would be very difficult case for an attorney to take on. You will need to provide more information in order for an attorney to make the appropriate recommendation or referral. If you do a search on, you should find many attorneys in the South Florida area to consult about your situation. Likely, they will want medical records before moving forward. Certainly, the decision as to whether or not a patient is competent to give their informed consent is a judgment call. The threshold is legally different in every state so you will have to ask an attorney in Florida to give their opinion. I wish you the best of luck.

David B. Snyder, Esq.
6876 Buckley Road
Syracuse, NY 13212
Mr. Snyder is licensed to practice in New York and practices Medical Malpractice Plaintiff’s work in Syracuse; he cannot offer legal advice in other states. This answer is meant to be a public service and not an attempt to solicit business. Moreover, my answer cannot be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. Unless I am retained in a matter and have completed a full investigation of the underlying facts and law, I cannot give an opinion on which to rely. Furthermore, unless your matter concerns New York law, I am not licensed to practice or give specific legal advice in your state.



Like I told Tipton esq I omitted alot of details of the case; I thought that given the large number of attorneys in south florida and given that some attorneys specialize in certain cases like birth defects, a question on avvo might narrow it down to lawyers who have had prior experience with med malpractice complicated by mental illness.


Many. Best bet is to call one of the above lawyers or Google it.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer