Is there a lawyer in florida who handles bullying/harassment in the workplace on a contigency fee basis?

I am being bullied at work, to the point that i have given my two weeks notice because i cannot handle it anymore. i really cannot support my 3 year old without this job, but i feel like i have no other option. :( please someone help me!!!!!!!!!

Lakeland, FL -

Attorney Answers (1)

Jonathan Edgar Pollard

Jonathan Edgar Pollard

Employment / Labor Attorney - Fort Lauderdale, FL

Unfortunately, run-of-the-mill workplace "bullying" probably is not actionable. As a general rule, in order for mistreatment in the workplace to be actionable, it has to be tied to some type of protected classification. This generally means race, gender, age, disability, religion, etc. If you are being bullied and it is unrelated to any of those classifications, then there is a good chance that it is not actionable. If, however, you are being bullied because of - for example - your religion, then you may have a discrimination case that would be actionable under Title VII.

If the mistreatment is absolutely extreme (constantly being harassed and being physically assaulted) then you may have a claim for something called intentional infliction of emotional distress. This is, however, a very difficult claim to pursue and requires truly extreme conduct. If someone is teasing you, harassing you or generally being rude-- that simply will not rise to the level necessary for an IIED claim.

Related Topics

Workplace harassment

Workplace harassment is the singling out of individuals based on their sex, age, race, religion, or disability, or any harassment relating to those factors.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.