Is there a lawyer in florida who handles bullying/harassment in the workplace on a contigency fee basis?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lakeland, FL

I am being bullied at work, to the point that i have given my two weeks notice because i cannot handle it anymore. i really cannot support my 3 year old without this job, but i feel like i have no other option. :( please someone help me!!!!!!!!!

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Jonathan Edgar Pollard

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Unfortunately, run-of-the-mill workplace "bullying" probably is not actionable. As a general rule, in order for mistreatment in the workplace to be actionable, it has to be tied to some type of protected classification. This generally means race, gender, age, disability, religion, etc. If you are being bullied and it is unrelated to any of those classifications, then there is a good chance that it is not actionable. If, however, you are being bullied because of - for example - your religion, then you may have a discrimination case that would be actionable under Title VII.

    If the mistreatment is absolutely extreme (constantly being harassed and being physically assaulted) then you may have a claim for something called intentional infliction of emotional distress. This is, however, a very difficult claim to pursue and requires truly extreme conduct. If someone is teasing you, harassing you or generally being rude-- that simply will not rise to the level necessary for an IIED claim.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,995 answers this week

3,200 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,995 answers this week

3,200 attorneys answering