Is there a lawsuit or civil action that can be taken against someone that is a habitual liar?

Is there a lawsuit or civil action that can be taken out against another as a consequence of that persons habitual lying that has caused a break down in relationships/friendships, damaged a persons life to the extent of mistrust, isolating themsleves from others, questioning and doubting her/his own reasoning due to the manipulation of that other person etc.

1. First , the situation you describe doesn't sound like it has any potential as a class action. A class action is a lawsuit in which a representative plaintiff brings claims on behalf of a large group of people (typically 50 or more) who have similar claims. Class actions are usually filed against large companies for harm that the company has inflicted on a large group of people. It would be very unusual for a class action to be brought against an individual.

Second, there is nothing that you have stated that even sounds like grounds for a lawsuit against this individual. Unless this person has lied in order to induce you to do something (or refrain from doing something), which has caused you economic harm, you probably don't have a case. And even if you did have some amount of financial loss that you can blame on this person, it would need to be a substantial amount to justify taking legal action -- thousands of dollars.

My advice (non-legal) is to stop hanging around with jerks.

Legal Information is Not Legal Advice My answer provides information about the law based on the limited information provided in the questions asked and is not intended to provide legal advice or opinions, and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. The answer to the question is for educational and informational purposes only. The law differs in each jurisdiction and may be interpreted or applied differently depending on the jurisdiction or situation. Accordingly, I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss the details of your problem so you can get legal advice tailored to your particular circumstances.

2. No, not likely. Not for merely being a habitual liar. You might have a cause of action for fraud, but you would have to have clear and convincing evidence (not just a preponderance of the evidence) that the fraud caused you damages.

Similarly, you might have a cause of action for defamation, but defamation is hard to prove. In Scott v. Solano County Health and Social Services Department (2006) 459 F.Supp.2d 959, the court explained that: “Under California law, the defamatory statement must be specifically identified, and the plaintiff must plead the substance of the statement. " Jacobson v. Schwarzenegger, 357 F.Supp.2d 1198, 1216 (C.D.Cal.2004).

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

3. False factual statements about another person which causes actual damage could be actionable in law, but they are hard to prove . I recommend seeking legal counsel to get advise on whether the actual content of the statements are actionable and whether your claimed damages are sufficient to support the action. Without knowing exacly what is said and what you claim as damages makes it difficult to help much further. I hope this was helpful. Good Luck

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

4. Are you sure you are not talking about someone I know? Sorry, it was a moment. The simple answer is, there must be a legally cognizable injury before the law will offer you a remedy. Has this person's lies caused you, for example, to purchase something at an inflated value? That might lead to a claim of "fraud." In other words, the condition of being a "liar" -- besides being very unfortunate -- is not the basis of legal action, but the consequences of such lies/misrepresentations, etc., might, depending on the circumstances.

Professional Rules of Ethics require me to advise you that this is an offer of possible representation.

Class action topics