Is there a law regarding how long an employer has to reply to a vacation request by e-mail?

San Jose, CA |

I work at local school district. I am a year round employee and I requested to have a week off in July but have had no response. Being a state employee what are my rights as the only person unable to take time off in the school district?

The law does not specify a mandatory period for response. If you are a union member, your collective bargaining agreement may provide a time period for response on this. Don't overplay your hand here: you are not the only person unable to take time off in your school district. For some reason, your employer has not yet responded to your request. Maintain an acceptable attitude and professional conduct as you attempt to graciously work through this problem.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

To add to Ms. McCall's good answer, you might consider sending a polite follow-up e-mail or going and talking to your boss in person, and asking the status of your request. *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***

The facts you have provided are very limited and I don’t know if you are an employee of a union or non-union. Are you permanent or a contract worker? If you have a union there would be a defined union contract and if you don’t have a union then it will be defined in your employment policy manual. You probably need to sit down with human resources or whoever is in charge and deals with vacation scheduling and have a meeting and resolve the issue.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Recommended articles about Employment