Is there a law in Florida that states Part-time employees are required to work 29 hours or less per week?

Tampa, FL |
Filed under: Employment

I used to work 30-34 hours per week as a part-time employee. My employer just informed me that my hours will be cut to 29 or less hours per week due to a new labor law in the state of Florida.

1. The legislative session in Florida ended several months ago. I am not aware of any new legislation defining "part-time" to be limited to 29 hours. I did a quick check of the recent session and did not find any relevant legislation to your question. If you get additional information from your employer as to what type of law or the basis for this policy, I would be interested in knowing as well. It may be that your employer offers certain benefits to employees who work more than 30 hours. If you are part of a union or certain types of industries have different criteria in Florida. Without that information it is difficult to give you a complete answer. If you add additional information to your question, you may get more information.

These comments are not intended to be legal advice. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Check with your Florida Wage and Hour Agency. http://www.workplacefairness.org/agencies_fl

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.