Is there a general rule of thumb to follow for knowing what qualifies as a business expense that is deductible?

Asked about 2 years ago - Portland, OR

I am new to running a business. I know most business expenses are deductible. But is there a general rule of thumb to follow for knowing what is or isn't business expense deductible?

.

1. Jay Bodzin

6

Answered . This is more of a question for an accountant than a lawyer. The general rule is that all 'ordinary and necessary' business expenses are deductible. The IRS has published an article on this question, available online at
    http://taxes.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&s...

If you have specific questions, you should ask your accountant.

2. Robert Adam Meyers

3

Answered . In substance, I basically agree with Mr. Bodzin's answer. I'll just add that [1] if you aren't inclined to hire an accountant or a tax lawyer to parse over your specific expenses, you can buy business tax software that will walk you through the types of expenses that are deductible, and [2] while you're trying to figure out what's deductible and what probably isn't, be sure to save all of your receipts!

3. John J Christianson

1

Answered . As mentioned above, business expenses that are "ordinary and necessary" are generally deductible. A good discussion of this standard is available at: http://taxguide.completetax.com/text/Q13_2512.asp.