Is there a form to file to apply for a First Time Abatement removal of tax liability and penalties?

Oxon Hill, MD |
Filed under: Debt Tax law

I received a tax liability with penalties and interest from the IRS. But I have never had them before. I am of the understanding that I qualify for a First Time Abatement because my taxes are current and up to date. Is there a form I need to fill out and submit to qualify or do I need to write the IRS?

You need to file a protest within the time allowed in the notice of assessment (the tax bill) by certified mail to the IRS. The assessment notice should have included a copy of Publication 5 "Your Appeal Rights and How to File a Protest if You Don't Agree" or you can find the Publication at the IRS website I recommend the assistance of a tax attorney or CPA familiar with the appeals process.

As Mr. Durr indicates, you respond to the assessment, then make a formal request and cite the applicable revenue procedures and code references that justify the request for first-time abatement.

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

I just wanted to add that the First Time Abatement applies to penalties so the interests arising from your tax liability will still need to be paid.
As Mr. Durr and Mr. Nielsen indicated, a memorandum in writing stating the reasons for the abatement of penalties such as reasonable cause would probably be the most effective method to request an abatement. The memorandum should list the supporting authorities for the abatement including the Internal Revenue Manual (IRM). It is best that you contact a CPA or Tax Attorney to write this memorandum for you. In the meantime, a good start for understanding reasonable cause and other types of reasons for abatement is located at Best of luck to you.

The materials you obtain from this website by Attorney Austen Na is for informational purposes only. The materials are not legal advice, and they are not intended to be legal advice. The materials do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Attorney Austen Na. The materials are not guaranteed to be complete, correct, or current. The use of this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Attorney Austen Na. You should not act or rely on the materials from this website without consulting an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for advice regarding your individual circumstances. We invite you to contact Attorney Austen Na with the NA Law Firm, and we welcome your calls, letters, and electronic mail. However, please do not send any confidential or privileged information to the NA Law Firm until such time when an attorney-client relationship has been established or you have received written agreements from the NA Law Firm to provide the legal services that you requested. Your communications with the NA Law Firm may not be considered as confidential or privileged unless an attorney-client relationship has been established or you have received written agreements to provide legal services for you from the NA Law Firm.

I would submit a form 843 along with a your written request for Penalty Abatement. You can find the form and instructions on

Anastatia Quirk Ellis, Esq. is licensed to practice law in Florida, Massachusetts and U.S. Tax Court, This answer is provided as general information and does not initiate an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt