Is there a filing fee to file for divorce in California?

Do I have to file a fee to petition the court for a divorce? Is there a fee waiver available to me if I cannot afford the fee and other court costs?

The filing fee in Los Angeles County for the filing of a petition for dissolution is $435. There is a process to obtain a fee waiver but it has very specific income levels and you have to file the request for fee waiver at the same time you file the petition. The court will review your application and if approved will accept and file the petition. If the fee waiver is denied then you would have to pay the filing fee

Yes, there is a filing fee and there are three different ways of obtaining a fee waiver.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Agreed. search the online section of the family court for the forms before you head in there.

Thomas A. Schaeffer, Esq. Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216, San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.org This posting is provided for "informational purposes" only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principals discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different States.

Yes, there is a fee to file for a divorce in California. However, you may qualify for a fee waiver.