Is there a filing fee to file for divorce in California?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Do I have to file a fee to petition the court for a divorce? Is there a fee waiver available to me if I cannot afford the fee and other court costs?

1. Robert Edward Drescher

6

Best Answer

Answered . The filing fee in Los Angeles County for the filing of a petition for dissolution is $435. There is a process to obtain a fee waiver but it has very specific income levels and you have to file the request for fee waiver at the same time you file the petition. The court will review your application and if approved will accept and file the petition. If the fee waiver is denied then you would have to pay the filing fee

2. Thomas Anthony Schaeffer

4

Answered . Agreed. search the online section of the family court for the forms before you head in there.

3. Michael Charles Doland

3

Answered . Yes, there is a filing fee and there are three different ways of obtaining a fee waiver.

4. Shauna Marie Albright

Pro

Answered . Yes, there is a fee to file for a divorce in California. However, you may qualify for a fee waiver.