Is there a fee to file with the court a request for written documentation? (discovery request)

Asked about 2 years ago - Cerritos, CA

I've faxed a copy of my discovery request into the LA Norwalk court to file but have not seen it go through; was wondering if there were any fees associated with that besides the facsimile charge?

1. Michael Charles Doland

5

1

Answered . 1) Discovery request (or responses) are not filed with the court (2) therefore no fee.

2. Alison Swicker Gokal

5

1

Answered . It hasn't gone through because the court is not accepting it. Discovery requests are only served on the parties to the case (all of them irrespective of who is answering). They are not filed with the court.

3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

4

1

Answered . There isn't a filing fee because discovery requests and discovery responses are not filed with the court. The discovery documents are only served between the parties.

4. Ann Penners Bergen

4

Answered . My colleagues are correct. The discovery has to be served on the other party in one of several methods: (a) by mail; (b) in person; (c) by fax if you have an agreement; (d) by overnight mail or (e) by email if you have an agreement. The obligation of the other party to respond to your discovery request will depend on how you serve it. You should get help on this from an experienced civil litigation attorney.