Is there a fee for filing an Answer to Divorce?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Divorce

My husband of 11+ years filed for divorce 2 days ago. We have no children together. We got the papers (including my answer papers) from an online service. So far, we agree on division of property, but I wasn't willing to give up my rights by signing a Waiver of Citation. Thus, an answer needs to be filed.

Is there a fee for filing my answer in Harris County?

No, there is no fee for filing an answer to a divorce petition. However, many people often file a counter petition for divorce when they file an answer and that would require a fee to the District Clerk. There are good reasons to file a counter-petition, but those reasons may or may not exist in your case, it depends on the facts. You may want to hire an attorney to review your final decree before you sign it. Good luck to you.

Yes

Call the court clerk for the amount

No.

Contact the Court Clerk to confirm: 713-755-8307

No, there's no fee for filing an answer. However, you may want to consult with a lawyer before signing off on the final decree.