Skip to main content

Is there a deadline to file an Abstract of Judgment in Texas?

Cedar Park, TX |

The evicted tenant says they can do monthly payments which would take 2.5 years to pay off the balance. However they will only make payments if I do not file the Abstract of Judgment. Can I file the Abstract of Judgment a year later or two later if they default on the payment plan?

Attorney Answers 3


I don't know the answer to your specific question. The judgment itself is enforceable for 10 years. The abstract is meant to serve as notice of the judgment. If the debtor is trying to keep the judgment off of his credit reports, it does not matter what you do. The credit bureaus have people who read court records looking for judgments so they can be place them on the reports. No abstract is needed.

This comment is given for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


While we don't have Abstracts of Judgment here in Maryland, once a judgment is filed, it will appear on the debtor's credit report.

The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot be properly represented or accounted for in a response to an on-line question. Any answer, discussion or information is intended as general information only, is not intended to serve as legal advice or as a substitute for legal counsel, and should not be relied upon in making any decision. If you have a question about a specific factual situation, you should contact an attorney directly.

Mark as helpful


It is always dangerous to answer even a straight question with a straight answer, just because we're all working with very limited information, but generally speaking, you could file it later.

I'm not your attorney; my answer includes assumptions. If you want me to be your attorney, I'm easy to find.

Mark as helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics