Is there a deadline to apply for citizenship?

Asked about 2 years ago - Granada Hills, CA

I have been granted asylum through inteview in the US, after I applied for greencard and received it. Now it has been a 5 years and 2 months I have the greencard. I know I can apply for the citizenship or naturalization if I have my greencard (so I am a permanent resident) for 4 years and 9 months. However, is there a deadline to apply citizenship after being permanent resident for 4yrs and 9 monts? I mean, can I apply whenever I want?

1. J Charles Ferrari

9

Best Answer

Answered . You can apply anytime after you meet all the requirements. There is no requirement that you naturalize

2. Javier G Pineda

10

1

Answered . No there is no deadline. Once you meet the requirements for naturalization you can apply at anytime. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make sure you meet all the requirements. Good luck.

3. Robert West

9

Answered . No deadline.

4. Rebecca T White

10

1

Answered . No, there is no deadline to apply for citizenship. It is often a good idea to file as soon as you are eligible to do so, but it is not required. Some people opt to remain greencard holders for decades.

5. Jeffrey Adam Devore

6

Answered . There is no requirement that you become a U.S. citizen. I have clients who have been permanent residents for 50+ years and have not applied for naturalization.

-----------
    Jeffrey A. Devore, Esq.
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney
    Devore Law Group, P.A.
    2925 PGA Blvd., Suite 204
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
    Telephone: (561) 478-5353
    Facsimile: (561) 478-2144
    Skype: jeffrey.a.devore
    email: jdevore@devorelawgroup.com
    web: www.devorelawgroup.com