Is there a deadline to apply for citizenship?

Granada Hills, CA |

I have been granted asylum through inteview in the US, after I applied for greencard and received it. Now it has been a 5 years and 2 months I have the greencard. I know I can apply for the citizenship or naturalization if I have my greencard (so I am a permanent resident) for 4 years and 9 months. However, is there a deadline to apply citizenship after being permanent resident for 4yrs and 9 monts? I mean, can I apply whenever I want?

You can apply anytime after you meet all the requirements. There is no requirement that you naturalize

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

No, there is no deadline to apply for citizenship. It is often a good idea to file as soon as you are eligible to do so, but it is not required. Some people opt to remain greencard holders for decades.

No there is no deadline. Once you meet the requirements for naturalization you can apply at anytime. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make sure you meet all the requirements. Good luck.

714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be construed as legal advice. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.

No deadline.

There is no requirement that you become a U.S. citizen. I have clients who have been permanent residents for 50+ years and have not applied for naturalization.

-----------
Jeffrey A. Devore, Esq.
Board Certified Immigration Attorney
Devore Law Group, P.A.
2925 PGA Blvd., Suite 204
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Telephone: (561) 478-5353
Facsimile: (561) 478-2144
Skype: jeffrey.a.devore
email: jdevore@devorelawgroup.com
web: www.devorelawgroup.com