Skip to main content

Is there a credible risk to losing US citizenship by applying for dual citizenship in another country?

Los Angeles, CA |

I am over 18 years old, and a U.S. citizen. Both my parents were born in Europe and I would like to apply for EU citizenship. Is there any credible risk to losing US citizenship?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


First, you have to distinguish dual citizenship and having two citizenships. Second, you have to distinguish applying for citizenship and applying for a national passport or certificate of citizenship based on the citizenship you might already have (derivatively, by birth, through parents) - and all of the analysis must be based on analyzing the immigration and citizenship laws of both countries, including any application treatises.

DISCLAIMER: The information appearing here is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal advice to any individual or entity. We urge you to contact us at (310) 988-5092 or or consult with your own legal advisor before taking any action based on information appearing here.


It depends on what the other country requires from you for you to become a citizen of that country.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleagues

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer