Is there a consumer based website that rates the honesty, dependability, professionalism, ethics, etc. of lawyers.

Des Moines, IA |
Filed under: Professional ethics

i live in the state of iowa. please don't refer me to the state bar association; ethics board/state supreme court;or, martindale-hubbell. they are not reliable. thanks, j

1. This website is about as close to your requirements as any I have seen. Even though you apparently do not want to see it, the Office of Professional Regulation is the only website which discloses all disciplinary matters for Iowa attorneys:
    https://www.iacourtcommissions.org/SearchLawyer.do

For more information: www.thomasmoens.com By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

2. Agree with Mr. Moens.

Most lawyers will give you a free consultation if you ask for one. We do this all the time, but remember that our time is valuable and you should stay with the people who help you the most.

3. You're there.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

4. Avvo is probably your best option. The downside is that not every attorney has an active profile on Avvo, but to the extent lawyers are listed and active on Avvo, you should find solid information. Although you have indicated resources you do not feel are reliable, I disagree. I think you need to look at all resources available to you concerning a prospective attorney, and then evaluate all of the information together.

Professional ethics topics