Is there a civil action for extortion in California?

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I loaned some money to a person who had also loaned money to my son. He refused to pay me on his loan which he said went bad unless I forced my son to pay. Can I sue him in a civil court for extortion?

1. Michael Charles Doland

10

Answered . Extortion is a criminal offense, and applies to a different fact pattern, so no. Unless you son is/was a minor there is probably no right to his claiming an offset. You can sue in on the debt.

2. Shawn Regis Jackson

8

Answered . Depending upon the amounts in the money you loaned, I may suggest that you explore filing in small claims court. As noted by the previous attorney, absent any "offsets", the claim by your son is probably seperate from the claim by you against this third party. So, select an attorney of your choice, call him/her, and have that initial "comfort" conversation on how to best proceed with this matter.

By Grace...
    Shawn Jackson ESQ. (707) 584-4529
    Business Development Attorney EMAIL: Attorneys@CaliforniaBusinessDevelopment.com
    www.CaliforniaBusinessDevelopmentAttorneys.com
    www.CaliforniaBusinessDevelopmentCenter.com
    www.CaliforniaBusinessDevelopmentPlans.com
    www.CaliforniaBusinessDevelopmentIncubator.com

No communication resulting herein shall create an attorney-client relationship unless a separate retainer agreement is signed by attorney and client. The information provided neither is legal advice nor is it conveyed in the course of an attorney-client relationship, but is intended merely as a general overview with regard to the subject matter covered. You should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel such as any attorney in this office in a subsequent email communication (agreement) and the formation of an attorney client relationship.

3. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

4

Answered . Sue him on the money he owes you. Whatever your son owes him is separate from what he owes you. Get an attorney.