Is there a city code in Los Angeles Ca., that prohibit landlords to rent a unit with asbestos in the air ducts, ceiling ,wall?

There is asbestos in the ac/heating air duct as well in the popcorn ceiling. Hud won't do nothing but is the landlord in violation of Los Angeles county Ca. ordinances. I'm in Lancaster Ca. On section 8 and disabled. Can I get help to move or sue this man, knowingly what he did and I'm 56 yrs old.

Lancaster, CA -

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Real Estate Attorney - San Marino, CA

No, there is no such city or county code. Unless the landlord is undergoing major construction which touches/damages the ducts or ceiling, there is no need to remove the asbestos in the ducts nor to remove the popcorn ceiling. As such, you do not have a legal basis to sue the landlord nor to claim "uninhabitability" in order to terminate a lease early.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.