Is there a city code in Los Angeles Ca., that prohibit landlords to rent a unit with asbestos in the air ducts, ceiling ,wall?

Lancaster, CA |

There is asbestos in the ac/heating air duct as well in the popcorn ceiling. Hud won't do nothing but is the landlord in violation of Los Angeles county Ca. ordinances. I'm in Lancaster Ca. On section 8 and disabled. Can I get help to move or sue this man, knowingly what he did and I'm 56 yrs old.

I've lived in this house for 11 1/2 yrs ,Mr. Frank Chan,there are Codes against asbestos under the Unhabitablitiy list under ac/heating ,"no asbestos in the air ducts" civil code1941.1 and the Health and Safety code 17920.3. The City of Lancaster as well as the Housing Authority of Los Angeles County and my landlord are all in violation or these codes. But no one is taking the responsibility . Who do I sue? I want to sue all of them for allowing this to happen. If Hud thoroughly inspected this house they would of found asbestos and I would of not been allowed to move in this house. When I told Hud about the asbestos they told me it wasn't there duty, but there supposed to make sure there clients live in a safe, hazardous toxin free enviroment. Then there is the landlord who has know of this plus the landlord refusing to fix the heater during the whole winter months, Until the Health Dept. step in . Is there a lawyer that can help me?

No, there is no such city or county code. Unless the landlord is undergoing major construction which touches/damages the ducts or ceiling, there is no need to remove the asbestos in the ducts nor to remove the popcorn ceiling. As such, you do not have a legal basis to sue the landlord nor to claim "uninhabitability" in order to terminate a lease early.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

I've lived in this 3 bdrm house for 11 1/2 yrs. I wrote a question earlier pertaining to the asbestos and the landlord refusing to fix the heater all winter. It stays around freezing and below . I had to call the Health Dept. did you read my earlier statment today?

I just did research There is a Civil Code # 1941.1 and a Health and Safety Code #17929.3 No Asbstos in Ducts....................

That is on the Unhabitalble List.