Is there a chance to be able to leave the country for work while on probation for a first offense DUI misdemeanor?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tallahassee, FL

I have no prior record and am a straight A student. I have a contract overseas for work starting in January. This job will require no driving.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Jonathan Burton Blecher


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should get permission from your PO before you leave. If you've completed the special conditions which are locally done (community service, immobilization of car, DUI classes, MADD impact class, etc...) you'll have a much better chance getting the approval. You may also need to get the OK from the judge.

    Each jurisdiction and judge have different mind-sets on this, but overall it is very likely that you can accomplish this.

    A lawyer should know the policies and often grease the wheel of this machinery and get it done smoothly.

    Good Luck.

    Every case and situation is different and vary greatly depending on specific facts. My posts are not to be... more
  2. William David Umansky


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As long as you get permission from the probation officer in writing of course you should be ok. In an abundance of caution you can motion the court to modify your disposition to allow you to leave the country to make absolutely sure. First start with your PO. Just make sure that anything they say is done via email or in writing. You do not want to get violated. When we have a client who goes out of state or the country we usually advise the court at the time of the plea so the Court addresses it in the court minutes. It is not always necessary but saves time later for times when these issues arise. Good luck to you!

    Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or... more
  3. Zachary Michael Ward

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. Either through probation officer or by getting a quick Motion for Modification stipulated to, and signed by the Judge.

  4. Ethan Patrick Meaney


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Mr. Blecher is correct you should contact your PO to get authorization. Also discuss it with your attorney if for some reason the PO isn't on board with it. Good luck.

    This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.
  5. Ralph F. Guerra

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, there is a chance. There are a couple of ways you can go about it. One way, is through your probation officer and ask for permission as some have suggested. The preferable way, I think would be to file a motion with the court to either early terminate your probation (assuming you have all your fines paid and no violations); or, motion to modify probation to allow you to call or write-in. You may want to contact the lawyer that worked on your case.

    The response above is intended for informational purposes only. The information provided is not intended to be,... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

DUI arrest

A DUI arrest must be based on probable cause: the officer must have enough evidence to arrest, as determined by a combination of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,318 answers this week

2,898 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,318 answers this week

2,898 attorneys answering