Skip to main content

Is there a chance in court if my son's mother moves 149 miles away with out telling me, written consent or petition?

Orlando, FL |

I was in the process of gaining more weekday time with my 7 year old son whom I see every other weekend. The court order states I get time with him Friday at 7pm to Sunday at 7pm.I don't have faith that she will be reliable to bring him 2 and 1/2 hours to my house when she is supposed to. She is relocating to live with her fiancé she has known since nov 2013. She hasn't come up with any written agreement nor has told me when and where they are moving. I found out from my son just last week.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Is there a current court case? It sounds like there is and that you have court ordered time-sharing, so on it's face, it seems that she has violated the Florida relocation statute. I would contact an experienced family law attorney in your area to discuss right away.

    Ophelia Bernal-Mora
    Orlando Family Law Attorney

    You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a divorce and family law firm located in Orlando, Florida. Communication through Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to our office until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

  2. You don't say if this is part of a divorce or paternity action, but it does sound as if some court action is going on, which means she should not be able to move more than fifty miles without permission or a court order. You need to set up a consultation with an attorney and go over all the facts and the current status of your case.

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

  3. She needs your written permission or a court order to be able to move more than 50 miles.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics