Is there a certain dollar amount where hiring a personal injury lawyer becomes worthwhile?

I've been injured, but not badly, and medical bills totaled just under $2,000. Is that an amount for small claims court, or should I get a personal injury lawyer? .

Los Angeles, CA -

Donald Steven Sjaarda

Donald Steven Sjaarda

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Santa Ana, CA

Your medical bills, taken alone, do not provide enough information to determine if it would be in your interest to hire an attorney. There are many other factors to consider. I would recommend that you contact a personal injury attorney in your area to discuss your potential case in detail. Most personal injury attorneys will give a free consultation for this purpose. If it is best handled in small claims court, most personal injury attorneys will be forthright in telling you this. Small claims may be appropriate but you will not know until you discuss the facts with a qualified attorney.

Sponsored Listing
Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

Business Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Medical bills of close to $2000 is not insubstantial. Avvo has many good personal injury attorneys in LA who would be happy to help You will almost always recover more with an attorney.

Matthew A. Dolman

Matthew A. Dolman

Personal Injury Lawyer - Clearwater, FL

It would be prudent to consult with a personal injury attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Most offer a free consultation and at the very least you can inquire as to the potential value of your claim.

-Matt
www.dolmanlaw.com

This advice should not be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.
Charles Owen Geerhart

Charles Owen Geerhart

Personal Injury Lawyer - San Francisco, CA

Sounds like small claims to me. The new limit is $10K for non-auto accidents; remains $7500 for insured auto claims

Steven A Schwartz

Steven A Schwartz

Personal Injury Lawyer - Boston, MA

If you call a respectable personal injury attorney in your area, they should be able to tell you whether you realistically need an attorney or not. Typically, an attorney will do more good for you in the long run. Best of luck.

Steven A. Schwartz
Attorney/Partner

JOEL H. SCHWARTZ, P.C.
One Washington Mall, 16th floor
Boston, MA 02108
(617) 742-1170
(800) 660-2270
(617) 250-2072 fax
sas@joelhschwartz.com
www.joelhschwartz.com

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Rutland, VT

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Your attorney can tell you if it is worthwhile hiring him or her.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - San Francisco, CA

I have handled cases this small before.

Related Advice