Is there a 60 month look-back period for VA Aid and Assistance like there is for Medicare?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

My grandfather is going to apply for VA Aid and Assistance since he's a vet. But he has over the $80k limit. Can he remove the excess and then apply w/in a year?

1. 7

Answered . No look back for VA but there are proposals to change that.

2. 7

Answered . You should meet with an elder law attorney prior to engaging in this type of planning on your own. As my colleagues have indicated, there is no look-back period for qualifying for the VA benefit you mentioned. However, VA planning should always be done with the Medicaid rules in mind because if the VA benefit won't get you through the Medicaid look-back period, then you may run afoul of the Medicaid rules and incur a penalty down the road. As I said, you should get with an experienced elder law attorney for assistance.

3. 6

Answered . No-not the same look back as MEDICAID.
    Meet with a VA attorney to do the proper
    planning to qualify.

4. 3

Answered . Planning for VA pension benefit is significantly different fron estate planning or Medicaid. You need to talk an attorney that specializes in VA pension planning.