Is the viewing of a website with lolicon images illegal in the US. No downloading or storage of images, just viewing the webpage

Fayetteville, NC |
Filed under: Internet law

No downloading, just viewing on the webpage.

1. Some police officers will believe that kiddy porn is kiddy porn. If they can convince their prosecutor of that, then charges might be filed. You can retain a criminal defense attorney. One argument is view versus download, but the prosecutor will argue that the image was transmitted to your computer at your request, so what does it matter if you store them. Your defense attorney might win this argument. Another is that the images are depictions, not photographs. This argument may also prevail. At the end of it all, you may finally get out of jail, perhaps after a jury trial. The police will watch you like a hawk since they will be convinced you are a child molester in the making. Your cell mate will miss you. So, there is more to the question than just legality. In summary, how much can you afford, and how will setting in jail awating trial affect your life?

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

2. Its driven by the jurisdiction. For example, in the Ninth Circuit any temporary file containing child porn deleted, or not deleted, is used to prove intent. So if one mistypes a url they may be in trouble. Typically, cases are prosecuted when a kiddie porn sight is seized by the feds since they then have access to those who sign in and/or use credit cards for purchases. In addition, they closely monitor peer-to-peer file transfers. If you have additional photographs on the computer, then there should be some concern.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

3. In short, this practice should be avoided at ALL costs.

The recommendations in this answer are not considered legal advice for the purposes of ethical, legal and practical evaluation, nor does this recommendation create a retention of counsel agreement between us, wherein an attorney-client relationship or privilege exists. These recommendations should never be relied upon without first consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. I am not your attorney, unless we enter into a written agreement fulfilling the terms of that agreement. The comments posted herein are purely for public educational purposes and public discourse on general legal topics. I presume the specific fact scenarios are only supposition and am thus commenting for the public's benefit and understanding of law. I am not soliciting you to hire me or my law firm, though in certain jurisdictions I may be able to refer you to an attorney that can help you or may consult with you for free.