Is the UCC only for merchants?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

Does it only apply to contracts made between two merchants?

1. Evelyn Susan Ginossi

7

Answered . The UCC applies to contracts of the sale of good between two parties in a commercial context, generally where at least one of the party is a merchant. Both parties do not need to be a merchant for the UCC apply. Note that the UCC does not apply to service, real estate or employment contracts. Thus, additional facts to those given would be needed to assess whether the UCC would apply in any particular scenario.

2. Michael Charles Doland

3

Answered . The general law school answer is that it is for sale of goods between merchants. (I really, really hope this is not homework!) See the Article 2, 100 series (2-102, 2-103 etc.) to find the techinical definitions of what is and is not covered.

As a practical matter, many judges will apply general UCC principles to contract matters of all sorts.

3. Albert Lee Crosner

1

Answered . I concur with my colleagues regarding the UCC. If you want additional information as to its use, you will need to furnish specific additional information which was not provided by you.