Skip to main content

Is the two year rule, that comes from the j1 visa, cumulative? Does she need to stay in mexico 2 years or 4 years?

Yuma, AZ |

My wife is a mexican citizen and I am a native us citizen. She entered the country on a j1 visa, changed her program (which saddled her with another j1) then switched to an f1 visa about the time we met. Now she is working with an OPT.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Not all J-1 visas have a two year foreign residency requirement. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for assistance.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. I agree with my colleague.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics