Is the surviving spouse responsible for debt left by deceased spouse under NY probate laws

Asked over 5 years ago - Chester, NY

MY HUSBAND PASSED AWAY 2 MONTHS AGO AND NOW THE CREDIT CARDS WITH CHASE ARE ASKING FOR FULL PAYMENT OF THE CARDS EVEN THOUGH I PAY THEM ON TIME AND PAY EVERY MO. AS I DID WHEN HE WAS ALIVE. THERE IS NO ESTATE, HE LEFT ME WITH NO MONEY. CAN THEY DO THIS?

1. Craig Dennison Robins

Pro

Answered . You say that you are continuing to pay your deceased husband's credit card debts. YOU SHOULD NOT DO THIS. The credit card companies cannot make you pay your spouse's credit card debt, whether he is dead or alive, unless you personally signed a credit card application.

Feel free to see various material on my web site for seeking debt relief in New York. Click here:
    .

2. Rudolf J. Karvay

Answered . If you are not a named party on the credit cards and your husband died without any assets, than you are most likely not responsible for the debts.