Is the role of a CEO completely determined by the board of directors or are there tasks that must always be done by a CEO?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

A company is hiring a CEO who splits his time between another job. He is primarily concerned about tasks that are legally obligated but that he might not have the time to do.

1. Eric J Camm

8

1

Answered . The role of the CEO will likely be defined in the Corporation's bylaws. The employment agreement between the CEO and the Corporation can (and should) expand upon the day-to-day activities of that individual as well.

2. Michael Charles Doland

6

1

Answered . The duties of the CEO are defined in the Bylaws or Operating Agreement and the CEO's employment contract.

3. Frank A. Natoli

Pro

2

1

Answered . The corp docs such as the bylaws or operating agreement or even an employment agreement may delineate the requirements of the CEO, but in the vast majority of small businesses you will not have that level of specificity.

There are commercially accepted tasks that a CEO is typically responsible for. I strongly suggest that the company or the officer have a lawyer draft up a proper employment agreement and outline what those expectations are.

Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult so you may want to take advantage of that.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    New York, NY
    (see Disclaimer)