Is the projected job market in 5-7 years stable enough to justify going on to law school?

Houston, TX |

Currently in last semester of high school, commited to Rice university.

I agree with attorney Akin regarding the fact that you should not go to law school based upon what someone might predict the job market will be in 5-7 years. You should go to law school because you enjoy working with people and think you would enjoy being a zealous advocate for those in need of your legal assistance. Regular lawyers ( those not working in large law firms) don't make the amount of money people think they make. Moreover, it is a demanding job involving lots of work and time in and out of the office. You DO need to enjoy what you do because are not always treated with the respect you feel you deserve and you are at work and work related functions A LOT when you practice law for a firm ( no matter what size). Keep in mind there are lots of jobs besides working as a lawyer in a traditional firm setting so long as you obtain a law degree from an accredited law school. I am happy I became a lawyer but I also know lots of people who tried practicing in law firms and hated it. Most people who i know who obtained a law degree don't regret it, though. Good luck to you in whatever you choose to pursue!

This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm. If you'd like to discuss your matter further and set up an appointment to meet, contact Law Offices of Jennifer M. Mendelsohn: (201) 796-7700.

2. I don't know what the projected job market is in 5-7 years and I don't know if anyone can even guess at what it will be. I've been doing this long enough to know that everything affects the legal market- good and bad. Become a lawyer if you want to help .people, make a difference or change things, and if you like a real challenge. No matter what type of law you practice, this is hard work, and you aren't always appreciated like you think you should be. Don't do it for the money (but if you do do it, be responsible with your education debt). There are a thousand much easier, less demanding ways to make a good living. I love the law and what I do, and the satisfaction I get from it is what gets me from day to day. Good luck to you!

This response contemplates only the laws of Ohio and is not intended to apply to other jurisdictions. None of the information in this response should be used or relied upon as legal advice or legal opinion about specific matters, facts, situations or issues. Viewing it does not establish an attorney-client relationship between you and Sherrille D. Akin, the law firm of Isaac, Brant, Ledman & Teetor LLP, or any of its individual attorneys

3. You should work in a law office or firm as an intern before entering law school. It may or may not change your mind. good luck

ATTORNEY DISCLAIMER TO THE ABOVE ANSWER: The information that I have provided to you is for general information purposes only and shall not be construed as legal advice for your individual circumstance. This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and you should consult with an attorney in your State directly so that the attorney has the full facts, documents, and an account from other witnesses that help support your contentions. If you like my comment, please click on the thumbs-up link below.

4. If I could predict what the job market will be in 5-7 years, I'd be rich.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.