Is the projected job market in 5-7 years stable enough to justify going on to law school?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Houston, TX

Currently in last semester of high school, commited to Rice university.

1. Jennifer Melissa Mendelsohn

3

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with attorney Akin regarding the fact that you should not go to law school based upon what someone might predict the job market will be in 5-7 years. You should go to law school because you enjoy working with people and think you would enjoy being a zealous advocate for those in need of your legal assistance. Regular lawyers ( those not working in large law firms) don't make the amount of money people think they make. Moreover, it is a demanding job involving lots of work and time in and out of the office. You DO need to enjoy what you do because are not always treated with the respect you feel you deserve and you are at work and work related functions A LOT when you practice law for a firm ( no matter what size). Keep in mind there are lots of jobs besides working as a lawyer in a traditional firm setting so long as you obtain a law degree from an accredited law school. I am happy I became a lawyer but I also know lots of people who tried practicing in law firms and hated it. Most people who i know who obtained a law degree don't regret it, though. Good luck to you in whatever you choose to pursue!

2. Sherrille Diane Akin

4

1

Answered . I don't know what the projected job market is in 5-7 years and I don't know if anyone can even guess at what it will be. I've been doing this long enough to know that everything affects the legal market- good and bad. Become a lawyer if you want to help .people, make a difference or change things, and if you like a real challenge. No matter what type of law you practice, this is hard work, and you aren't always appreciated like you think you should be. Don't do it for the money (but if you do do it, be responsible with your education debt). There are a thousand much easier, less demanding ways to make a good living. I love the law and what I do, and the satisfaction I get from it is what gets me from day to day. Good luck to you!

3. Hadi Edward Ramsey

1

Answered . You should work in a law office or firm as an intern before entering law school. It may or may not change your mind. good luck

4. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . If I could predict what the job market will be in 5-7 years, I'd be rich.